How to put a pipette
We are at the time when the tem appear> You can find them in our online store.
Carlos Rodriguez, along with the Maya patient, teaches us in the following video to put a pipette to our dog. Following his instructions and mixing two of the antiparasitic you will have your animal protected.
What are pipettes?
A pipette is a small plastic container that contains a liquid with action against different external parasites of the dog. Although the size does not usually vary too much, we will find in the market divided pipettes according to the weight of our dog, which will contain more or less quantity of the liquid.
Pipettes are placed on the dog and its active ingredients they spread all over his body through the fatty layer of the skin so that if a parasite itches it will be intoxicated. Some pipettes prevent bites. To know how often you have to put them we will have to read the leaflet that accompanies them or ask our veterinarian, because between the different brands we can find differences.
They are generally of monthly application, being able to increase their frequency of use if we are in environments with high presence of parasites or in times of special incidence. In the next section we explain how to put the pipette to our dog.
How to place a pipette on a dog
First of all, before putting any pipette to our dog we must be sure that it is suitable for him. The best way to get that security is to use those prescribed by our veterinarian. An inappropriate pipette can poison and even end a dog's life.
Once we have the pipette the steps to follow are the following:
- It is recommended to handle these products with disposable gloves.
- Never put the pipettes near fire because if it comes into contact with the liquid>
Precautions in the use of pipettes
Learning how to put the pipette to our dog minimizes the risks but, in addition, we must take into account the following aspects:
- Generally pipettes cannot be used in dogs less than 2 kg of weight or in puppies under two months old. For use in dogs with these characteristics we must consult with the veterinarian or use another product such as sprays.
- Although some pipettes have the same composition for dogs and cats, those used in dogs may contain toxic substances for cats. Therefore, be very careful with sharing them and even with the contact between both species while the pipette does not dry out. If the cat licks it it could be intoxicated.
- The composition of some pipettes is not suitable for certain breeds of dogs that have a genetic mutation that makes them hypersensitive to these active ingredients. They are races like the long-haired collie, the border collie, the bobtail or old English shepherd, etc. And its crosses. That is why it is so important to consult with our veterinarian, as these dogs could die if we put an inappropriate pipette.
- If an overdose occurs our dog will be intoxicated, showing symptoms such as hypersalivation, uncoordination or tremor. In these cases, contact the vet and give the name of the pipette for instructions.
- Finally, remember that the dog should not be bathed not a couple of days before or a couple after having put the pipette so as not to interfere with its distribution by the body and, consequently, with its effectiveness.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to put a pipette to a dog?, we recommend that you enter our Basic Care section.
Pipettes for dogs prices and brands of pipettes
We will start talking about pipettes for conventional chemical dogs. That is, these products are effective because they use a insecticide, able to kill dog parasites effectively. It is important to know well what effects each pipette has, since some are good only for killing fleas, others only kill ticks, and others are capable of eliminating both fleas, such as garapatas and other insects, such as lice.
These brands are currently leaders in flea pipettes for dogs:
- Advantix pipettes (fleas, mosquitoes that transmit leishmaniasis, ticks and lice)
- Stronghold pipettes(fleas, ear mites, mosquitoes and nematodes)
- Frontline Spot On, Frontline Combo and PipettesFrontline Tri Act(fleas and ticks)
- Advantage pipettes(only fleas)
The Frontline pipettes for dogs from Merial laboratories, they are also highly effective against fleas, ticks and lice. The Frontline pipette contains permethrin. The permethrin It is a chemical insecticide, very powerful, capable of killing fleas and ticks by contact and away mosquitoes transmitting leishmaniosis. Permethrin is used in pipettes, but it also has other uses, for example in agriculture it is applied to combat certain beetles and crop pests. It also carries other compounds such as fipronil, a potent chemical pesticide that is used for various species of animals and kills Fleas, ticks, and lice.
Stronghold dogs pipettes protect against fleas, nematodes and mites of the ear. They are composed of selamectin As you can see, the package itself indicates that this pipette is suitable for Cats and dogs. The stronghold pipette can be used on pregnant cats and dogs and breastfeeding puppies.
The Advantage pipettes for dogs protect against fleas and lice. That is, it is not indicated that they are effective against ticks or against transmitting mosquitoes. The active component of this pipette is Imidacloprid, a neuroactive insecticide derived from nicotine.
Pipette prices vary from 25 euros per 3 pipette container, up to 31.90 euros (prices in Spain). These pipettes are sold in veterinarians and pet stores, but the way cheaper to get them it is through the internet, that is, in pet stores on-line. We leave you a link with the best offers of pipettes for dogs in relation quality and price depending on the weight of your dog.
Pipettes for cheap dogs
As we have said in the previous point, it is true that there are other cheaper chemical dog pipettes, but in general, they don't give such a good result as the leading pipettes, nor do they adequately protect, especially in cases of infestations with many fleas and ticks.
That is why our recommendation is that if you opt for conventional pipettes, use the pipettes that really work.
Pipettes for dogs how they get (photos)
How are flea pipettes placed in dogs? Its use is simple. Simply open the aluminum wrap in which they are usually contained and take out the pipette.
Once opened, place it in 3 points on your dog's body along his spine. The 3 points are:
- the nape of the dog,
- mid back,
- and at the base of the tail.
Do not pour the liquid from the pipette into your dog's hair, but you must remove hair and once removed, put the Pipette on the dog's skin. This is very important, because if you do not place the pipette on your pet's skin, it will not be absorbed correctly, and therefore it will not work!
Do not use pipettes for dogs in cats under any circumstances (except Stronghold), because many pipettes for dogs carry very toxic chemical compounds for cats. So it is vital to deworm dogs with pipettes for dogs and to deworm cats with specific pipettes for cats.
Once this is clear, there are a few things we can do to make sure that the pipette that we are using is really effective To eliminate the fleas of our best friend! How to use dog pipettes correctly:
1. Your dog must be clean and dry when you apply the pipette, because if it has too much dirt on the spine or is wet, the product will surely slip and not penetrate the skin properly. This will decrease the effectiveness of the pipette.
2. As we have said in the first point, there are large differences in quality between some pipettes and others. So, choose a good pipette for dogs, according to your economic possibilities, the best you can afford.
3. Respect the expiration dates of the flea pipette, and renew your application according to the manufacturer's instructions.
4. Set it correctly in 3 points along your dog's back and let the liquid come into contact with the SKIN of your dog (not with the hair).
5. Do not bathe your dog within two days of applying the pipette (allow a period of 48 to 72 hours so that the product is well absorbed), so you will help to fix its effect.
6. Let the pipette act 24 hours before judging its effectiveness as a flea.
7. Make a comprehensive flea plan, which relies on pipettes, plus other tools such as shampoos, necklaces, flea sprays, flea home remedies, and of course a House cleaning to kill these parasites and their eggs.
I want to use natural pipettes (pipettes for natural herbal dogs)
The pipettes for dogs that we have mentioned are very very effective, but they have two drawbacks:
- The first is its price, since they are quite expensive, and there are people who cannot afford them.
- The second drawback is that they are made from chemical insecticides, and some people are not comfortable with these products, preferring to opt for natural methods.
Can we use natural remedies to protect our dog against fleas and ticks? Yes, you can read how to do it, here >> Home remedies for fleas